Hoboken was first settled in the 17th century as part of the Pavonia, New Netherland colony. The Dutch acquired the land from Native Americans in 1626. Colonel John Stevens developed the city in the19th century as a resort destination and later as a residential neighborhood. He developed the first steam Ferry that transported Manhattan residents to Elysian Fields where they enjoyed picnics and a stroll along the River Front. As boating became popular in the mid to late 1800s; Hoboken housed several boat clubs along the waterfront. Hoboken became a township in 1849 (separating from North Bergen Township) and was incorporated as a city in 1855. With the rise of the shipping Industry in the late 1800s, Hoboken transformed from a resort area to an important port and later became home to major industries for most of the 20th century such as Lipton Tea and Maxwell House.